Skilled Worker Back

How it Works

The Federal Skilled Worker Program eligibility is determined using a 100-point scoring system that includes these elements. For how well you perform in each of the 6 areas, you receive points. The current passing score is 67.

Applicants must have a baseline showcasing linguistic ability, education and skilled work expertise. If these baseline requirements are met then the selection factors are taken into consideration. This includes having a valid job offer, age, language skills, likeliness of settling and work experience. We use selection factor point to properly assess your chances of being in this program.


You cannot be eligible for this Skilled Worker Express Entry if you are inadmissible. Certain individuals cannot enter Canada. According to Canadian immigration rules, they are "inadmissible."

Your ability to enter Canada will be determined by a Canadian immigration official if you when you arrive at a port of entry, apply for a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

For a variety of reasons, including security, criminal, or medical concerns, we could refuse to allow you into Canada. Typically, if you are not eligible to enter Canada, you won't be permitted to do so. We may grant you a temporary residence visa if your trip to Canada is justified by a legitimate purpose and the situation. You have a few choices if you've committed or been found guilty of a crime to get around your criminal inadmissibility.

Minimum Requirement: Work Experience

Skilled work experience is classified under 1 of the 4 NOC TEER’s. You must demonstrate that you carried out the tasks outlined in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC while working in your principal occupation. This comprises all the necessary tasks and the majority of the principal tasks mentioned.
  • Your professional background must be in a position that is similar to the one you wish to utilize in your immigration application (has the same NOC) (called your primary occupation)
  • Work that was compensated within the previous ten years (wages, commissions, and unpaid internships do not count)
  • A minimum of 1,560 hours of continuous employment over the course of one year (30 hours per week); there are several methods to achieve this requirement:
  • one job, full-time: 30 hours each week for 12 months equals one year.
  • For instance, working 15 hours per week for 24 months equals one year of full-time employment (1,560 hours)
  • To fulfil this criterion, you can take on as many part-time jobs as you need to be doing more than one job full-time: 30 hours per week for 12 months at more than one employment equals one full year (1,560 hours)

Part Time or Student Work Experience

For Part-Time, your professional experience must have been obtained through paid employment, such as salary or commission. Volunteer labour and unpaid internships are not included. You can work more or less than 15 hours per week as long as it totals 1,560 hours for part-time employment. Any hours you put in beyond 30 per week are not taken into account. To obtain the hours required for application, you might work more than one part-time employment.

Minimum Requirement: Linguistic Ability

For Student work, it may only be counted as a requirement if all other minimum requirements are made as well as the job being continuous and being paid for the work done. You must take official writing, reading, listening, speaking, and French examinations in either English or French.

In order to include the test results in their Express Entry profile, prospective candidates must receive a minimum Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 score across all four skills.

Minimum Requirement: Education

You must possess a certificate, diploma, or degree from a Canadian if you attended school in Canada, either a post-secondary institution or a secondary school

If you received your education abroad, you must have a credential that has been completed and an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for immigration purposes from a recognised organisation demonstrating that your education is equivalent to a Canadian certificate, diploma, or degree that has been completed through a post-secondary institution or a secondary school.

Proof of Funds

You must have easy access to funds. For instance, you cannot cite real estate equity as evidence of settlement cash. This money cannot be borrowed from anyone else either. If your family isn't travelling with you, you must be able to spend this money to cover their living expenses.

You can count the funds in a joint account if your spouse is travelling with you. Money in an account with just their name on it might be countable, but you'll need to show that you have access to the funds. When you apply and when (if) we grant you a permanent resident visa, the money must be accessible.

For proof, official letters from banks or institutions must be provided. Letters need to be written in full and printed on the financial institution's letterhead, along with their contact details (address, telephone number and email address) provide your name when listing any outstanding loans and credit card bills. This includes the account numbers, opening dates, current balances, and average balances over the previous six months for each current bank and investment account.

The only cases where proof of funds isn’t required, is if you are legally able to work in Canada or have a valid job offer pending from an employer.

Some more clarification for immigration seekers:


2021: Changeover to the National Occupational Classification. On November 16, 2022, the National Occupational Classification was updated to reflect the year 2021. (NOC). Discover information on the National Occupation Classification's earlier iteration (NOC 2016). Some users' accounts are presently experiencing technical issues. Upgrading their NOC 2021 codes on their Express Entry profiles applying with NOC 2021 codes using Express Entry. We are developing a solution. Use our online form to let us know if NOC 2021 is causing any technical issues for you. To search for your specific classification visit

Selection Grid

To determine your eligibility for the Federal Skilled Worker Program, we utilize selection factor points. We'll evaluate your criteria for selection and give you a global score out of 100. You might be eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker Program if your score is 67 points or higher.

You can submit a profile to the Fast Entry pool if you also fulfil the other standards. After you're in the Fast Entry pool, we score your profile using a different methodology. You won't be eligible for the program if your score is less than 67 points. You might be able to increase your score by taking the following actions:

  • Enhancing your linguistic abilities
  • Obtaining an offer of planned employment in Canada.
  • After earning another degree, diploma, or certificate.

Here at the 6 selection factors:

1. LanguageThe ability to converse in 1 or both of Canada's official languages is crucial. In the Canadian work market, knowing either English, French, or both is advantageous. Your proficiency in both French and English language might get you up to 28 points.

2. Education
You must possess a certificate, diploma, or degree if you attended school in Canada at either a post-secondary institution or a secondary school. If you received your education abroad, you must have a certificate, diploma, or degree that has been completed from a Canadian institution, as determined by an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from a certified organization for immigration purposes. Education can give up to a maximum of 25 points.

3. Work Experience
The number of years you have worked full-time for pay (at least 30 hours per week, or an equivalent number of part-time hours [15 hours per week for 24 months]) at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2016 National Occupational Classification, will determine how many points you receive (a maximum of 15 points).

4. Age
Depending on your age when we get your application, you'll receive points. Those 18-35 can receive the maximum possible for this category, which is 12 points.

5. Arranged Employment
If a Canadian business has made you a job offer that is good for at least a year, you can earn points. Before you apply to come to Canada as a Federal Skilled Worker, you must get a work offer. Arranged employment can give out a maximum of 10 points.

6. Adaptability
You can accrue adaptability points for both you and your spouse or common-law partner who will immigrate to Canada. A maximum of 10 points can be obtained by combining any of the components below for you and your spouse. These factors determine how successfully you and your spouse will integrate into Canada.

Looking for more information on Skilled Workers Express Entry? Reach out to Just To Canada today and our team of liked minded and seasoned professionals will help guide you through this process, making it seamless and efficient as possible!